The General Settings page contains vital site information, such as the page title and description, admin’s email address, default currency, timezone, etc.
From this page you will be able to manage other settings like the following:
- Category settings – Allow (or not) users to select a parent category as a category when inserting or editing a listing. For more information on category settings, visit our documentation on Categories.
- Contact settings – Allow people to attach a file to the contact form.
- Cron settings – Some Osclass functionalities require a cron in order to work. Check if your host isn’t able to do them. Uncheck if you want to set up your cron manually. Refer to the manual to know more about the Osclass cron system.
- Software updates – Enable or disable software updates for core, plugins, themes, languages or market external sources.
Manage, edit and create new categories from Categories settings. For more information, visit our documentation on Categories.
The Comments page allows you to set up the following options:
Default comment settings
Allow people to post comments on listings- Restrict comments to registered users
- Enable comment moderation by admin
- Minimum approved comments, before a comment appears
- Number of comments per page
Adjust wether you want or not to receive and send emails whenever:
- A new comment is posted (to admin)
- There’s a new comment on his/her listing (to the user)
To add a new location:
- Click, Add new
- Enter the two-letter country code (find it here) and country name
- Click, Add
See also: Installing new locations
Although there are already default versions available for email messages such as “Tell a friend”, “Validate your listing”, “Edit options for the listings” etc., you might want to change them. You can easily do so, by entering your Dashboard → Settings → Email templates. More info at Email templates.
This page allows you to manage all your currently installed language translations. To read more about how to manage languages, go to this Languages page.
Enable/disable friendly URL’s – By default, Osclass uses web URLs which have question marks and lots of numbers in them. However, Osclass offers you friendly urls. This can improve the aesthetics, usability, and forward-compatibility of your links.
Example link to an ad, with…
Spam and bots
There are several ways to avoid spam listings on your classifieds website and manage it easier. Here we tell you how to get and configure your Akismet and reCAPTCHA keys. Both, reCAPTCHA and Akismet, are available from your Oc-admin → Settings → Spam and bots. However, please note, that you must register first on their websites in order to use these services.
For more information, check out this video tutorial on How to install Akismet and reCAPTCHA for Osclass.
This page allows you to Add, Edit and Delete currencies for your site. The default currencies include:
- European Union euro
- United Kingdom pound
- United States dollar
Important: You will not be able to delete a currency if ANY ad on the site are using it. Additionally, you can not delete a currency if it is set as the default currency on the General settings > General settings page.
- This page allows you to set the preferred dimensions for all the images on the website.
This page will allow you to decide if you want to store the latest queries of your users and for how long. It may be useful to know what queries users make in your website. You could have an idea of what your users are looking for or show them on the site as “hot topics”.
- By default, this option is unchecked.
Allow you to choose if you want to enable subdomains on your Osclass website. If you enable them, you can choose by which subdomain type they will be based on: user, category, country, region or city.
- Remember that if you enable subdomains, you are required to provide your host name. Add it without “www”.